Carmen Hickson, Untitled
- Tell us about the salmon artwork you have in the Salmon Run Project: The Exhibition.
The Salmon art piece I created for this project is a reflection of the iconic status this fish holds in our eco-system. By using manufactured items as adornments I am drawing a parallel between human inventiveness and the evolution of nature.
- What made you want to submit a proposal for the Salmon Run Project?
The Salmon Run Project was appealing to me because it brings an awareness to the condition of our rivers and the life they sustain in a unique and interesting way. It offered me an opportunity to share my art with a wider audience.
- How and when did you become interested in creating art?
I believe we are all born with the desire to express ourselves in some way. Early in one’s life it becomes apparent how we will express ourselves by which tools we choose. I was compelled to draw and covered every bare space on every piece of paper I could find in our home. Drawing led to painting which then led to sculpting. It’s a compulsion that I am happy to indulge.
- What do you think of the art scene in Mississauga? Where do you see it heading in the next ten years?
I believe the art scene in Mississauga is a vibrant growing community and will see significant change in the next ten years. Art is becoming more and more accessible to the average person and projects such as the Salmon Run Exhibition are examples of accessible art.
- What advice would you give young people who want to become artists?
Listen to your inner voice and be true to your vision
- What do you currently have lined up in terms of artistic opportunities? For people interested in finding more of your artwork, do you have a website, blog, Twitter account or gallery?
My sculpture will be showcased at the Moose Show of Canadian Fine Craft and Art, Nov, 17th, 18th, & 19th, 2011 at the CBC building in Toronto. I will also be exhibiting at the Headwaters Art Festival Show at the SGI Centre in Caledon, Sept 22 – Oct. 10th, 2011.
My work can be seen at Dragonfly Arts on Broadway in Orangeville and at Strata Gallery in Elora.
My website link is http://www.carmenhickson.com