1. Tell us about the artwork you have in the VAM 2011 Juried Show.
My inspiration for Autumn Splendor was a picture given to me in 1994 by a friend as I was starting to take lessons in pastel to prepare a hobby for my retirement. So you can see that a LIFETIME later I did produce this pastel. I love trees, rocks and nature so by adding the light from the sunset over the falling leaves, it did give it a sense of splendor.
2. How and when did you first become interested in creating art?
Before retiring in 2002 I was taking lessons during my holidays at Haliburton College in botanical, japanese, watercolour, figure drawing, abstract, and of course at VAM, in oil, acrylic and watercolour.
3. What do you think of the art scene in Mississauga? Where do you see it heading in the next ten years?
The Art Scene in Missisauga is expanding as there are more artists than ever and so many shows almost every weekend. It certainly creates an interest for the arts and I can see the continuing growth for the years to come.
4. What advice would you give young people who want to become artists?
I am not qualified for advice but I do think that the love of the art has to come within you in making choices for something that you enjoy. Young people today have so many opportunities in this community to pursue an artist Life.
5. What do you have lined up after the VAM Juried Show? For people interested in finding more of your artwork, do you have a website, blog, Twitter account or gallery?
I will participate in the Valentine Show. I do not have a blog but I belong to the Mississauga Senior’s Art Club at the Mississauga Seniors Centre on Cawthra road and we do have a permanent Hallway Gallery showing our work, it is open to the public daily. We do have an annual Exhibition every October. I also assisted the City of Parks (Johanne Foote and Claudette Ferguson) for some murals eradicating graffiti and just recently doing some sheds for the ice-rinks. I enjoy painting as a hobby and continue to be the leader of the Group at the Centre.
See Marielle Griffiths’ Autumn Splendor at the Art Gallery of Mississauga in the VAM 33rd Annual Juried Show until February 26th.
Voting for People’s Choice Award ongoing until February 26th. Ballots available at Gallery reception.