Heather Grindley, Nude Study 2010, mixed media, 76 x 64 cm, $1200
1. Tell us about the artwork you have in the VAM 2011 Juried Show.
My work titled ” Nude Study 2010 ” was created directly from a model’s 45 min. pose.
The media is charcoal & pastel on 300 lb. Lana HP paper that was already textured with opaque paint that covered an unsuccessful work.
2. How and when did you first become interested in creating art?
My interest in creating art has been as long as I can remember. [ 4 years old ]
3. What do you think of the art scene in Mississauga? Where do you see it heading in the next ten years?
Visual Arts Mississauga and the Art Gallery of Mississauga do a tremendous amount for the art scene in Mississauga.They create exciting exhibitions for the public and highlight the year with their popular open juried exhibition.
I think that it is shameful that a city as large as Mississauga does not have an Art Gallery housed in its own building. We were promised this many years ago, for it was a temporary decision to be in the City Hall. Unfortunately this has not happened; as a result, our Gallery has no outside entrance and has limited storage and gallery space.
Let’s hope that in the next ten years we may see this happen.
4. What advice would you give young people who want to become artists?
My advice to young artists would be to work hard, never stop learning, and to be true to their own vision.
5. What do you have lined up after the VAM Juried Show? For people interested in finding more of your artwork, do you have a website, blog, Twitter account or gallery?
My web site is : www.heathergrindley.com
See Heather Grindley’s Nude Study 2010 at the Art Gallery of Mississauga in the VAM 33rd Annual Juried Show until February 26th.
Voting for People’s Choice Award ongoing until February 26th. Ballots available at Gallery reception.