Sue Archibald, Il Duetto, diptych – acrylic/pencil, 76 x 122 cm, $1400
1. Tell us about the artwork you have in the VAM 2011 Juried Show.
Il Duetto was born of a series of small wonky urban-scapes that has grown over the years in both size, palette and design. I have always played with windows, the view to the inside, the hole in the wall, the design element that makes flat walls turn into interesting and curious marks. The city also has a life of its own, separate from the humans that inhabit it.
2. How and when did you first become interested in creating art?
Around the ages of 3 & 4, my mother took me with her on her plein air painting trips with her “Painting Pals”, five lively women oil painters. We would often be down by the creeks and rivers around Sherway and Port Credit. While the ladies painted, I lay on my blanket drawing and colouring in my own wee sketch pad. It was inevitable that I too would pick up a paint brush and incorporate “Painting Pals” into my own life.
3. What do you think of the art scene in Mississauga? Where do you see it heading in the next ten years?
I am impressed by the calibre of work that comes into the annual Juried show. There are obviously many accomplished artists in the area. I have also been quite pleased with a number of shows sponsored by the AGM.
4. What advice would you give young people who want to become artists?
If it makes you happy do it, if it drives you crazy still do it. It is a lifelong joy to be an artist.
5. What do you have lined up after the VAM Juried Show? For people interested in finding more of your artwork, do you have a website, blog, Twitter account or gallery?
I’m on Facebook: Sue Archibald Artist. My website is under construction.
See Sue Archibald’s Il Duetto at the Art Gallery of Mississauga in the VAM 33rd Annual Juried Show until February 26th.
Voting for People’s Choice Award ongoing until February 26th. Ballots available at Gallery reception.