1. Tell us about the artwork you have in the VAM 2011 Juried Show.
New York City Orchids was painted based on a photograph taken in New York City. The subject was immediately interesting to me because of the opportunity to incorporate multiple patterns which I create through printmaking and painting my collage paper.
2. How and when did you first become interested in creating art?
I have been interested in creating art for many years. I come from a very creative family who is always making or building something.
3. What do you think of the art scene in Mississauga? Where do you see it heading in the next ten years?
The beauty of the art scene in Mississauga is that it is captivating and available.
4. What advice would you give young people who want to become artists?
Join a group of fellow artists. Joining a group gives you motivation, new ideas and support for your artwork. Find a group with similar artistic ideas and paths as yours. A good match will provide you with creative input and allow you to grow in your current painting output and technique.
5. What do you have lined up after the VAM Juried Show? For people interested in finding more of your artwork, do you have a website, blog, Twitter account or gallery?
After March of 2011, I will be painting full time. I hope this will provide me with additional time to paint more acrylic/collage paintings and find new venues in which exhibit them.
See A. Linda Van Wyk’s New York City Orchids at the Art Gallery of Mississauga in the VAM 33rd Annual Juried Show until February 26th.
Voting for People’s Choice Award ongoing until February 26th. Ballots available at Gallery reception.